Planning Certificates

A Planning Certificate provides information on how property, including land, houses, commercial and industrial buildings, may be used and any restrictions on its development. You may need to obtain a Planning Certificate when you are buying or selling a property. You should always seek legal advice or consult your agent regarding your exact requirements before buying or selling your property.

There are two types you can request:

  1. Certificate issued under Section 10.7(2) of the Act contains the information specified by the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act and Regulation. The information includes permissible and prohibited uses and the names of the planning documents that affect the development of the land. Or:
  2. Certificate issued under Section 10.7(2) & (5) of the Act may include any additional information affecting the land that the Council may be aware of.

Form 2 - Application for a Planning Certificate

While the certificate will state all the relevant planning instruments that apply to the property, it does not specify specific development standards or terms of the instruments. If you propose to develop the property, it will be necessary to research thoroughly all of the terms of the planning instruments which apply to the land.

An Outstanding Notices Certificate can also be requested for a property to confirm whether there are any outstanding notices (includes notifications, orders, directions or demands) issued by Council under the Local Government Act. Form 12 - Application for Outstanding Notices Certificate.