Food Business and Inspections


Local government has statutory responsibilities for public health protection under the Local Government ActPublic Health Act 2010 and Food Act 2003 by regulating environmental health premises and food businesses. 

The Food Act 2003 requires all food handling businesses in NSW, including bed and breakfast (B&B) establishments that provide meals to their guests, home-based business, food stalls at temporary events, water carters and mobile food vendors to notify their details to their local Council.

Notification can by done by completing Form 187 Food Business and/or Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) Notification.

Food Business Newsletter Summer 2023(PDF, 3MB)

Food Business Newsletter Autumn 2024(PDF, 8MB) 

Scores on doors

The Scores on Doors program publishes the hygiene and food safety inspection result achieved by NSW retail food premises. The program rates participating food business’ compliance with NSW food safety legislation with an emphasis on the food handling practices linked to foodborne illness. This assessment, using a standardised checklist and points scheme, results in a score that summarises the outcome. When displayed prominently consumers can use this score to help them decide where to eat or buy food.

This program is voluntary and applies to eligible businesses that sell food that is ready to eat, potentially hazardous and for immediate consumption, such as pub bistros, cafés, takeaways, hotels, and other places you eat out.

Certificates and stickers on display at food premises give you information about the hygiene standards in food premises at the time they are inspected by one of our officers. Council officers check that businesses are meeting legal requirements for food hygiene.

More information about scores on doors can be found on the NSW Food Authority Website.

Related information:
Consumer guide for scores on doors 
How to get a higher rating


Food safety supervisor

The Food Act 2003 requires certain food handling businesses in NSW to have at least one trained Food Safety Supervisor (FSS). 

The NSW Food Authority’s FSS program was established to help reduce food-borne illness in the hospitality and retail food sectors in NSW by improving food handler skills and knowledge. 

To become an FSS, you must complete training with a registered training organisation. For more information, please see the NSW Food Authority website. 


Inspection of food premises

Food premises within the Yass Valley LGA are routinely inspected to ensure that they are complying with the Food Act 2003, the Food Regulation 2015 and the Food Safety Standards. These inspections are carried out by Council’s Environmental Health Officers who are authorised under the Food Act 2003. All inspections have a prescribed fee that is updated annually in the fees and charges


Construction of food premises

All food premises are required to comply with Food Safety Standards under Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, being:

Australian Standard 4674 - Construction and Fit-out of Food Premises must also be complied with for the construction of new food premises or the alteration of existing premises. For advice on how to meet the Standards, and to determine if approval is required, please contact one of Council’s Environmental Health Officers.

For more information, please see Council's Food Premises - Design, Construction and Fitout Guide(PDF, 1MB)


Temporary food stalls

Temporary food stalls are generally found at approved events, fetes and markets. The construction/erection of a temporary food stall must comply with minimum construction standards.(PDF, 969KB) The operator of the temporary food stall is also required to register their business with Council. This can be done by completing Form 187 - Food Business and/or Food Safety Supervisor Notification and returning it to Council. This is required to be submitted two weeks prior to operating a temporary food stall. For more information on the requirements of temporary food stalls, please refer to the NSW Food Authority webpage on markets and temporary events.


Home based food business

Preparing food at home for sale at markets, fetes, internet sales or the like, is considered a food business. This enterprise will need to be registered with Council (Form 187) as a food business and will require early stage planning and liaison with Council’s Environmental Health Officers prior to commencing the business. Depending on the type of the proposed food business, planning legislation will also need to be considered.

Bed and Breakfast Accommodation
The Food Act 2003 requires all food handling businesses in NSW, including bed and breakfast (B&B) establishments that provide meals to their guests, to notify their details to the local Council.

Notification can by done by completing Form 187 Food Business and/or Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) Notification.

For more information please refer to the Food Standards website.


Mobile food vehicles

All mobile food vehicles that are garaged and operate in the Yass Valley local government area are required to be registered and inspected by Council. Mobile food vehicles are also required to meet minimum construction standards to ensure safe storage, preparation and sale of food.

For more information refer to the NSW Government's Guidelines for Mobile Food Vending Vehicles(PDF, 579KB).



At times, it may be necessary to lodge a complaint about food or goods purchased from a business within Yass Valley. Complaints can be made directly to Council's Senior Environmental Health Officer on 6226 1477 or The complainant's name and contact details, nature of complaint, name and address of food premises and date of purchase of product(s) will need to be provided to Council. 


Food Standards Code

New laws for food businesses under Standard 3.2.2A

Recent changes to the Food Standards Code have introduced new requirements for all businesses that prepare and serve food in NSW. From Friday 8 December 2023, businesses that process unpackaged, potentially hazardous food, and serve it ready-to-eat, are required to:

  • have a qualified onsite Food Safety Supervisor
  • ensure all food handlers are trained in food safety and hygiene
  • be able to show their food is safe.

Businesses that only slice, weigh, repack, reheat or hot-hold potentially hazardous food they have not made themselves, for example for example slicing fruit or reheating meals provided by a caterer, are required to: