The Southeast and Tablelands Regional Plan is the NSW Department of Planning & Environment’s 20-year vision for the region to build sustainable communities by balancing opportunities for new homes and jobs with the protection of the region’s natural environment.
In July 2015 Council considered two Planning Proposals to re-zone land adjoining the northern and southern of the Gundaroo village. Council supported the re-zonings together with the requirement for the preparation of a Masterplan. Council also resolved to prepare a Masterplan for Sutton to provide greater certainty and structure given the increasing development pressure on the village and surrounds.
Elton Consulting were appointed and facilitated two community workshops several months apart in each village. The draft Masterplans were placed on exhibition from 16 January to 13 March 2017.
Yass Valley Settlement Strategy
The Yass Valley Settlement Strategy was adopted by Council at its September 2017 meeting and provides a clear direction for long term growth and development within the Local Government Area.
The Main recommendations arising from the strategy include:
- Focussing the majority of future growth in the short to medium term (to 2036) in the existing settlements of Yass and Murrumbateman. It is recommended Yass strengthen its role in the region and aim to grow into a Regional Centre of 20,000 people;
- Murrumbateman, recognising the primacy of Yass, would aim to grow into a major town/large district town of 10,000 people;
- Binalong, Bowning, Bookham and Wee Jasper require no rezoning’s at this time due to low demand for housing and lack of infrastructure;
- Given water constraints and the community’s desire for Sutton and Gundaroo to remain as villages – only limited future development will be considered.
- Restricting ‘urban’ development at the NSW-ACT border to protect the Yass Valley LGA from being consumed by urban sprawl overflowing from Canberra, which in turn will protect the rural landscape approach into the ACT and significant environmental values surrounding the Mulligan’s Flat and Goorooyaroo Nature Reserves.
Adopted Yass Valley Settlement Strategy
The Yass Valley LEP 2013 incorporated the recommendations of the following studies: