1. Development Application (application assessed by Council)

  • Pre-lodgement enquiries with Council.
  • Development Application (Planning - Form 1) is lodged and fees paid to Council.
  • The application is registered and an Assessing Officer assigned.
  • An Acknowledgement Notice is issued to applicant.
  • Adjoining property owners are notified of the proposed application and it is advertised if necessary.
  • Council conducts site inspection/s as part of the assessment of the impact of the proposed development.
  • Application is assessed according to Council's planning instruments LEPs, DCPs & SEPPs and other relevant Acts & Regulations. Any submissions received are also taken into consideration.
  • If the application is not satisfactory, the Assessing Officer will report to a meeting of Council, recommending refusal. Council will make a determination and if the recommendation is adopted, Council will issue a Refusal.
  • If the application is satisfactory, Council will issue Development Consent subject to conditions.

2. Construction Certificate (issued by Council or an accredited certifier)

Construction Certificate Application (Planning - Form 1) made to the certifying authority (either Council or an accredited private certifier) and fees paid.
The certifying authority checks that the plans and specifications for the development proposal comply with the development consent conditions and applicable standards including the Building Code of Australia. If satisfactory the certifying authority will issue a Construction Certificate.

3. Before Work Begins

  • The Applicant must obtain an approved Construction Certificate issued by a certifying authority. The certifying authority can be either Council or an accredited certifier.
  • The Applicant must then appoint a Principle Certifying Authority (PCA). The PCA can be either Council or an accredited certifier. If the PCA is to be Council, the Appointment of PCA form (Planning - Form 131) must be submitted. (Note: The Application may be made during Construction Certificate phase if the certifying authority is also the PCA). Inspection fees may be paid in advance or as inspections are carried out. If the PCA is to be an accredited certifier, please contact them to identify their requirements.
  • Council must be notified two (2) days before work begins by submitting a Notice to Commence Work Form (Planning - Form 131).

4. Building Work Begins (in accordance with the development consent)

  • Work begins in accordance with the development consent and construction certificate, including conditions.
  • The PCA to determine inspection stages (certain mandatory inspections are specified by the Act and Regulations).
  • The builder advises the PCA during stages of work to allow the required inspections.

5. Occupation Certificate (completion of works)

  • After works are concluded an inspection is conducted by the PCA to determine if works have been completed satisfactorily.
  • If works have not been completed satisfactorily the PCA may issue an Interim Occupancy Certificate. An Interim Occupancy Certificate allows occupation/use of the building but will list outstanding items to that are yet to be completed.
  • Once all works have been completed satisfactorily the PCA will issue a Final Occupancy Certificate.
DA-POL-18 Development Assessment Policy (Located under Development Assessment & Control)