Waste reduction initiatives
Council is committed to an 80% reduction in rubbish going to landfill. See how we are aiming to achieve this commitment.
ChemClear is the industry funded national program for the collection and disposal of unwanted, currently registered, rural chemicals. The objective of the program is to minimise the accumulation of unwanted rural chemicals on farms, which may create potential risks to the environment and public health.
To have your unwanted rural chemicals collected please register by:
- Phone: 1800 008 182
- Online: www.chemclear.com.au
drumMUSTER is the national program that has been set up for the collection and recycling of cleaned, eligible, non-returnable crop production and on-farm animal health chemical containers. As a chemical user, drumMUSTER provides you with a defined route to safely dispose of your used chemical containers. All you are required to do is clean your containers so they are free of any chemical residue then deliver them to one of our Transfer Stations: Yass Transfer Station, Murrumbateman Transfer Station, Binalong Transfer Station, Bowning Transfer Station and Gundaroo Transfer Station.
Garage Sale Trail is one BIG WEEKEND of garage sales that's happening right across Australia - 20-21 October 2018. It’s an idea to help encourage reuse, reduce waste and minimise our impact on mother nature.
Garage Sale Trail happens with the support of 146 Council partners and more than 400,000 bargain hunting, reuse loving Australians - who this year will shop and sell at more than 15,000 garage sales Australia-wide.
Join the movement this October and help spread the word. Let’s choose to reuse.
Once a year, Council holds a household chemical clean-out day, usually in Spring. During this day, residents in the Yass Valley can clean out their household chemicals the right way...and for free.
Only household quantities are accepted (20kg or 20L maximum container size) at the Yass Waste Transfer Station during the Household Chemical Clean-out, including:
From your home:
- Solvents and household cleaners.
- Floor care products.
- Ammonia based cleaners.
- Fluorescent globes and tubes.
From your garage:
- Paint and paint-related products.
- Pesticides and herbicides.
- Gas bottles.
- Fire extinguishers.
- Pool chemicals.
- Hobby chemicals.
- Acids and alkalis.
From your car:
- Car batteries.
- Motor oils, fuels and fluids.
The NSW Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) has been running the Love Food Hate Waste (LFHW) program, which aims to raise awareness about the impact of food waste in NSW and reduce how much 'good' food we waste. Food waste results from preparing and cooking food. There are two types of food waste including 'avoidable' and 'unavoidable' food waste.
The LFHW program focuses on 'avoidable' food waste and this includes food that:
- Gets wasted because we buy more than we need.
- Is out of date before we use it.
- Gets wasted because we cook more than we need.
'Unavoidable' food waste is food waste that can not usually be eaten. This food waste can be composted or put into the bin.
Yass Valley Council has become a Local Government Partner, meaning we are committed to reducing the amount of good food that is being sent to landfills within the Yass Valley Local Government Area (LGA).
Each year Council provides two domestic waste vouchers per rates notice for use at Council's waste and recycling facilities.
Each voucher entitles the property owner to dispose of one cubic metre of domestic waste, subject to restrictions on particular waste at no charge. Vouchers are not transferable and are not redeemable for cash. The waste vouchers are provided to rateable properties to assist in disposing of domestic waste. It is hoped the issuing of domestic waste vouchers will assist in reducing the number of illegal waste dumping incidents.
Terms and Conditions:
- Maximum of 1m3 of household domestic or green waste per voucher.
- Vouchers must be presented and retained at the waste facility at the time of use.
- Vouchers are not redeemable for cash and no credit will be given.
- Vouchers may be used for part payment of larger loads (see terms and conditions).
- Loads of waste that contain recycling or reusable material may not be accepted.
- Please separate recyclables.
- Only waste from domestic sources such as household or garden waste will be accepted.
- Maximum of two vouchers per load.
- One double mattress or two single bed mattresses accepted per voucher.
- No commercial, building and hazardous waste accepted.
- No fridges, freezers or air conditioners accepted.
- Lost vouchers will not be replaced.
A collection point has been installed in Yass ready to exchange eligible drink containers for a 10 cent refund as part of the NSW Government’s container deposit scheme Return and Earn.
Eligible drink containers include most between 150mls and three litres that are predominately consumed away from home and found in the litter stream. Containers should be empty, uncrushed, unbroken and with the original label attached.
The collection point is located in the carpark of the Yass Woolworths supermarket.
Container materials that may be eligible for a refund include:
- Liquid paperboard
For more information, visit the Return and Earn website or phone 1800 290 691.