Roads, Streets & Bridges
Yass Valley Council manages approximately $500 million of assets, of which roads are the largest asset category. Yass Valley has a road network of 1,237km, which excludes National Highways & State Roads.
Roads within Yass Valley are broken down into five categories:
- National Highways - Hume Highway, Federal Highway and Barton Highway are funded by the Federal Government with maintenance being undertaken by the State Government's Roads and Maritime Services (RMS).
- State Roads - Burley Griffin Way and Lachlan Valley Way are funded by RMS and maintained by Yass Valley Council under a contract to the RMS.
- Regional Roads - Wee Jasper Road, Sutton Road, Murrumbateman Road, Yass Valley Way, Gundaroo Road and Burrinjuck Road are maintained by Council but are funded by a grant from RMS.
- Local Roads - Are roads that are owned by the Council and are divided into Urban Roads and Rural Roads and are maintained by Council.
- Crown Roads - Are owned by the State Government and administered by the Department of Industry - Lands & Water.