skip to main content skip to main menu

Planning & Building



We understand planning and development can be a bit confusing, so we are hoping the below glossary of common planning and building terms will assist you.

Acoustic Report by an acoustic consultant will need to be submitted, where noise is a major design issue. The report should demonstrate that the proposal will not cause, or be affected by noise emissions and may be required for application where there are:

  • Existing and proposed noise sources (on-site and nearby): main roads, railway lines, aircraft, industries, transport terminals, loading bays, heavy vehicles, restaurants, clubs, hotels, car parks, ventilation and air-conditioning units, pumps and pool filters.
  • Proposed noise reduction measures: noise barriers, building layout and setback, room layout and window placement, building materials, insulation, double glazing.

Accredited Certifier means the holder of a 'certificate of accreditation' as an accredited certifier under the Building Professionals Act 2005. Also referred to as a ‘Certifying Authority’.

Acid Sulfate Soils (ASS) contain iron sulphides underground that are usually stable when they remain undisturbed. However, when exposed to air, after drainage or excavation works, the soils rapidly form sulfuric acid. This acid can leach into the surrounding area acidifying neighbouring drains, wetlands and creeks, causing severe environmental damage. This leaching of acid can also affect public and private infrastructure by causing serious damage to steel and concrete structures such as the foundations of a building.

Air Quality Report maybe required for industrial applications for development with potential impacts on air quality, or or residential development close to pollution sources. The report should demonstrate how the proposal will not cause, or be affected by, air emissions including information such as:

  • Existing or proposed sources of air emissions (on-site and nearby): industries, spray painting booths, food premises, exhaust systems, waste storage, oil or wood burning stoves or heaters, major roads.
  • Proposed mitigation measures: placement and height of flues or chimneys; filters and treatment devices; location of waste storage areas and compost heaps.

Arborist Report prepared by a qualified arborist will need to be submitted with any application that proposes the removal of significant trees on a site or that will impact on trees on adjoining land. Trees that are in good health and condition, that can be sustained in the medium to long term and that make a positive contribution to visual, ecological and natural heritage values of the site, shall be retained as part of any new development. When planning for a new development, the opportunities and constraints provided by the existing trees on the site should be considered from the early stages of the design process. A qualified arborist is considered to be a person with a minimum Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Level 5 Diploma of Horticulture (Arboriculture) and/or equivalent experience.

Assessing Officer is the Council Officer responsible for carrying out the assessment on an application.

BASIX Certificate/Commitments - the Building Sustainability Index - is an interactive, web-based planning tool designed to assess the potential performance of residential development against water consumption and greenhouse gas emission targets prescribed by the NSW Government.

BASIX is a self-assessment tool, designed to be used by building applicants and others involved in designing residential development proposals. BASIX is accessed via the BASIX website. Applicants are required to complete a BASIX assessment in relation to their proposal before an application can be lodged with Council. The BASIX Certificate, generated once a BASIX assessment has been satisfactorily completed, confirms that the proposed development will meet the Government’s water consumption and greenhouse gas emission targets if it is carried out in accordance with commitments made by the applicant during the BASIX assessment.

Council is unable to consider applications that are lodged without a BASIX Certificate.

If you are proposing alterations or additions to an existing dwelling valued at $50,000 and above or a swimming pool (or spa) with a volume greater than 40,000 litres a BASIX Certificate is required.

BASIX Certificates require different commitments to be shown on the plans at different stages of the development, either “On DA Plans” or “On CC/CDC Plans”, with some commitments needing a “Certifier Check”. Plans must be consistent with the BASIX Certificates at all times.

BCA/NCC Upgrade / Fire Safety Report - A Building Code of Australia / National Construction Code Report relating to the proposed development must be submitted with the application. Commencing with classification and size of the development, the report must address all issues that affect the development detailed in the NCC, including the NSW appendix. Alternative Solutions will need to be indicated identifying the areas that do not comply with the ‘Deemed-to-Satisfy” provisions of the NCC. These must be prepared in accordance with the requirements of A0.8 of the former BCA. A schedule of the fire safety measures must be submitted detailing what the existing AND proposed measures are and how they are, or will be, installed to comply with the relevant Australian standards.

Biodiversity Development Assessment Report (BDAR) is also used for the assessment of impacts on threatened species and threatened ecological communities under the Biodiversity Conservation Act. For further information and the requirements of the Act please visit the Office of Water & Environment website.

Building Code of Australia (BCA) was published on behalf of the Australian Building Codes Board in October 1996, together with:

  • Such amendments made by the Board, and
  • Such variations approved by the Board in relation to NSW, as are prescribed by the regulations.

Building Specifications describe the construction, materials and standards of which the building is to be built and the method of drainage, sewerage and water supply. The specifications will also state whether the materials to be used are second-hand and (in the case of second-hand materials) give particulars of the materials to be used.

Building work means any physical activity involved in the erection of a building.

Bushfire Prone Land is a mapped area of land that has been identified as being capable of supporting a bush fire or is likely to be subject to bush fire attack.

Bushfire Threat Assessment will need to be submitted with any application for works on bushfire prone land. The report will need to assess the proposed building work against the Rural Fire Service Planning for Bushfire Protection Guidelines 2006 and nominate the bushfire attack levels and relevant requirements appropriate to the design and construction of the building. Applications for subdivision of bushfire prone land are integrated development under Section 4.46 of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 and will need to be referred to the NSW Rural Fire Service. In some instances this report will need to be prepared by a Qualified Bushfire Consultant.

Complying Development is routine development that an Environmental Planning Instrument (EPI) provides which can be approved by meeting specified predetermined development standards.

Consent Authority - in relation to a DA (or an application for a Complying Development Certificate) - means:

  • The Council having the function to determine the application, or
  • If a provision of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A Act) the regulations or an EPI specifies a Minister, the Greater Sydney Commission, the Planning Assessment Commission, a joint regional planning panel, local planning panel, or public authority (other than a council) as having the function to determine the application – that Minister or the Greater Sydney Commission, Planning Assessment Commission, panel or authority, as the case requires.

Construction Certificate is a certificate that proves work has been completed in accordance with specified plans and specifications will comply with the requirements of the Act and Regulations.

Contamination Report enables Council to consider the possibility of land contamination and the implications it has for any proposed or permissible future uses of the land. A precautionary approach will be adopted to ensure that any Land Contamination issues are identified and dealt with early in the planning process. Contaminated land issues may rise, for example, with sites that have been previously used for industrial activities or with sites that were used as service stations etc.

Cost Summary Report for construction works must demonstrate how the value of the works has been determined. For development valued at less than $1,000,000, a value of works estimate can be provided by the applicant, architect, designer or builder but must include the methodology used to calculate the estimate.

Council Planning Policies are local guidelines specifying standards and procedures relevant to new development.

Cultural Heritage Due Diligence Assessment involves taking reasonable and practicable measures to determine whether your actions will harm an Aboriginal object and, if so, what measures can be taken to avoid that harm. The NSW Office of Environment & Heritage website has more information. 

Cut & Fill Plan shows the amount of cut and fill proposed on your land showing the proposed:

  • Setback of the cut/fill from the property boundaries.
  • Depth of the cut and height of the fill.
  • Detail of any edge treatments such as batter grades or retaining wall heights.
  • Amount of material to be important or exported as a result of the works.

Demolition Plan consists of a site plan identifying the buildings to be demolished, location of security fencing, waste storage areas, temporary toilet facilities, erosion and sediment control fencing, stabilised vehicle access point and tree protection measures. The Demolition Statement will identify the hazardous materials in the building, methods of demolition and waste disposal and the requirements for asbestos clearance certificates.

Development Application (DA) means an application for consent under Part 4 of the EP&A Act to carry out development. It is usually made to the local council. It consists of standard forms, detailed plan drawings and a number of detailed documents (called ‘submission requirements’).

Development Consent means consent under Part 4 of the EP&A Act to carry out development and includes, unless expressly excluded, a Complying Development Certificate.

Developer Contribution are a contribution levied by Council towards public amenities, infrastructure and services as a consequence of development. Developer contributions may be imposed as a condition of consent or approval and may be in the form of payment of monies, dedication of land (such as a new park) or improvements to land. Contribution plans provide the basis for what infrastructure is needed and how the costs are apportioned over an area.

Development Control Plan (DCP) is a detailed guideline that illustrates the controls that apply to a particular type of development or in a particular area and is made under the EP&A Act.

Disability (Access to Premises – Buildings) StandardCommonwealth Disability (Access to Premises – Buildings) 2010 or Premises Standard applies to all construction certificates and complying development certificates lodged after 1 May 2011. The Premises Standard aims to improve disabled access into and around buildings. While the Premises Standard does not apply to DA’s, given its requirements on design and physical space, it is strongly advised that you consider it when preparing your DA in order to minimise disruptions or delays at the CC stage.

The Premises Standard applies to new buildings as well as to alterations and additions to existing buildings, such as shops, offices, hotels, medical centres/aged care facilities, larger residential developments eg. those with common or community areas such as pools or secure entrances, industrial complexes, public amenities and carparks. Development that does not require work, such as change of use DA’s, are not subject to the Premises Standard, because a CC is not required. However they must (as well as those DA’s mentioned above) still address the requirements in our own Development Control Plan. Small residential DA’s are not subject to the Premises Standard.

The Premises Standard is part of the NCC. Any consent (e.g. a DA or CC consent or complying development certificate) that requires compliance with the BCA must address the Premises Standard.

Disability Access Report will assess the access requirements relevant to the design and construction of the building to ensure compliance with the Disability (Access to Premises – Buildings) Standards 2010 and the Building Code of Australia. Compliance with the Premises Standard is required for most non-residential development to ensure disabled access into and around a building. It is important to consider disability access at the time of planning so that your initial design or DA will make it through the CC process without need for amendment. In order to minimise modifying plans after development consent has been issued, you are strongly advised to address the Premises Standard as part of your DA.

Dwelling means a room or suite of rooms occupied or used, or constructed or adapted so as to be capable of being occupied or used as a separate domicile.

Elevations and Sections will clearly document the proposed building/s or works. Elevations and sections should be drawn to 1:100 scale and include the following details:

  • Draw an elevation viewed from each direction and at least one section showing:
    • Date, plan number, amendment number
    • Building facade, windows, roof profile
    • External finishes (eg. wall, roof, window, door and fence materials, paint colours, etc)
    • Window and door schedule (showing all dimensions)
    • Existing and finished ground levels, floor levels, ceiling levels and roofline levels (show driveway grade)
    • Chimneys, flues, exhaust vents and ducts (show height in relation to adjoining roof levels)
    • Retaining walls and fences (indicate height)
    • Extent of excavation or filling of the site

Environmental Planning Instruments (EPIs) means an Local Environmental Plan (LEP) or State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) made under Part 3 of the EP&A Act. They contain the controls that apply in relation to the development of an area/site.

Erosion & Sediment Control Plan will illustrate the specific methods of erosion and sediment control that will be used to meet the site conditions at various stages of construction.

Exempt Development is classified in an EPI as development that may be carried out without the need for development consent because it will have minimal environmental impact, so long as any requirements of the EPI are satisfied.

Fire Safety Measures are a list of any existing fire safety measures (eg. portable fire extinguishers, fire hose reels, exit signs, etc) provided in relation to the land or existing building on the land and a list of the proposed fire safety measures to be provided in relation to the land and any building on the land as a consequence of the building work.

Flood Report allows Council to consider if a proposed development will be impacted by flood and if the development will impact on adjoining properties by way of redirecting water flows. Recent flood studies have identified flood prone areas in Yass, Sutton and Gundaroo. Applications for development on flood prone land should be accompanied by a flood report which demonstrates the development is suitable for the site and that surrounding properties won’t be adversely affected. This report should be completed by a suitably experience civil or hydraulic engineer.

Floodplain Risk Management Plan (FPRMP) are a management plan prepared in conjunction with a flood study which includes both written and diagrammatic information describing how areas of flood prone land are to be used and managed. FPRMPs applicable in the Yass Valley include a number of specific development controls for flood prone land.

Floor Plans clearly document the proposed building/s or works. Floor plans, should be drawn to 1:100 scale and include the following details:

  • North point (true north) and scale
  • Title block indicating name of architect/designer, date of preparation, plan number, amendment number (where relevant) and client’s name and address of subject property
  • Location of proposed new buildings, alterations or works (show setback distances from boundaries and adjoining buildings)
  • Room layout, partitioning, location of windows and doors
  • Room dimensions, areas and proposed use of each room
  • Courtyard dimensions and areas;
  • Walls
  • Total floor area and floor space ratio
  • Disabled persons access (if required)
  • Vehicle entrance and exit driveways

Flora & Fauna Assessment is to be prepared by a suitably qualified and experienced professional.  The report is required to identify all direct and indirect impacts on flora and fauna from the proposed development. Legislatively it is often referred to as a 5 part test or a test of significance. Further reports may be required in the event of a threatened or endangered species being present on the site.

Heritage Assessment is to provide Council with sufficient information for it to determine the impact of the proposed development on the heritage item concerned. The Heritage Assessment should be prepared by a professional heritage consultant. To determine the level of detail required and who should prepare the Heritage Assessment, consult Council’s Heritage Adviser before submitting the application. A Heritage Assessment must address the following:

  • Summarise the historical development of the heritage item and its setting (the setting is the immediate area or locality in which the item is situated. It includes gardens, fences, other buildings and features on the land on which the heritage item is situated as well as surrounding buildings and features in the streetscape).
  • Describe the heritage item and its setting (the description of the item should address the period and style of the heritage item, its materials and finishes, its form, and its setbacks and orientation on the property. The description should also address the setting of the item in similar terms as well as the visual relationship between the item and its setting).
  • Assess the condition and integrity of the heritage item (integrity refers to how original the heritage item is and how much change has occurred to it over time).
  • State why the heritage item is significant.
  • Describe the proposed development and specify the changes which would be made to the heritage item and its setting.
  • Assess the impact which the changes would have on the heritage item and its setting including both positive and negative impacts (if any).
  • Describe measures designed to mitigate negative impacts  (if any) on the heritage item and its setting.
  • State whether any other development options were considered and why the preferred option was selected.

Heritage Conservation area is an area identified in a planning instrument (eg. the maps attached to the Yass Valley Local Environmental Plan) were the retention of heritage values is considered important.

Heritage Item is a building or place which is recognised in a planning instrument (eg. the Yass Valley Local Environmental Plan) as being of high heritage value.

Landscape Plan should be prepared by a qualified landscape architect or consultant and should illustrate the proposed landscape design for your proposal. The plan should demonstrate an understanding of the site and its context. Draw the plan to match the scale of the architectural and survey plans and show the following details:

  • North point (true north) and scale (show ratio and bar scale).
  • Name of the landscape designer or company, their contact details and professional qualifications.
  • Date, plan number, amendment number (where relevant).
  • Finished surface levels, embankments and grades (indicate extent of cut and fill).
  • Location, species and canopy spread of all existing trees to be retained or removed, including any affected trees on adjoining properties or Council’s nature strip.
  • Arborist advice detailing the protection or removal of trees.
  • Proposed tree and shrub planting, including number of each species, their location, massing and mature height, and any proposed edging and mulching.
  • Proposed surface treatments and restoration eg. turf, paving, bank stabilisation, mounds.
  • Reduced levels at the base of trees and their height and canopy spread.
  • Driveways and carparking areas.
  • Location of letter boxes, drying areas and garbage receptacles.
  • Finished surface levels, including embankments, grades and contours.
  • Location of stormwater pipes and pits, including any onsite detention.
  • Proposed fences and retaining walls (indicate height and material).
  • Erosion and sediment control measures.
  • Maintenance program.

Local Environmental Plan (LEP) is a form of EPI made under the EP&A Act. It is the principal legal document for controlling development at the council level. LEPs contain zoning provisions that establish permissible uses and specify standards that regulate development. They are prepared by councils and approved by the Minister.

Neighbour Notification are required for some development applications, so the DA can be publicly exhibited during their assessment. Council's Community Consultation DCP currently governs when a development is placed on public exhibition. In most instances properties that neighbour a development will be contacted in writing to seek their comments or concerns and the application is posted on Council's website. Some larger applications may require a notice to be placed in the newspaper.

Occupation Certificate issued by the Principal Certifying Authority, is a certificate that authorises the occupation and use of a new building, or a change of building use for an existing building. It is a post-construction check on whether necessary approvals and certificates are in place for the development and the building is suitable for occupation or use in accordance with its BCA classification.

OSSMF System Details provides the NSW Health Accredited details of the on-site sewage management system proposed to be used with your development. These can be found on-line on the NSW Health website or provided by your system manufacture.

Part J Report is a report prepared by a suitably qualified energy consultant or building certifier which demonstrates how a development will meet the energy efficiency provisions of Part J of the Building Code of Australia/National Construction Code Volume 1.

Planning Certificate provide information on how property, including land, houses, commercial and industrial buildings, may be used and any restrictions on its development. You may need to obtain a Planning Certificate when you are buying or selling a property or when you are looking to develop it. You should always seek legal advice or consult your agent regarding your exact requirements before buying or selling your property.

Planning Portal is an online tool provided by the NSW Department of Planning which can be used to access both board NSW planning information and specific planning information about a particular allotment.

Pool Pump & Filter Details the make and model of the pump and filer proposed to be used in conjunction with your swimming pool. 

Quantity Surveyors Report are for development valued greater than $1,000,000 and, if requested, are to be prepared by a registered Quantity Surveyor. The value of works estimate must include the value of costs such as labour (eg. specialist tradespeople) as well as the value of materials and fixtures to be used, as opposed to what the developer is paying for them. For example, if labour is being provided “for free” that labour still has a value which must be accurately included in the estimate of the value of works.

Schedule of colours & finishes - If your application involves a new building or additions to an existing building, we may request full details of your proposed external finishes and materials. You should include details of proposed brick styles and colours, roof tiles, doors and window frames, balustrading, colour schemes for painted areas and details of hard-paved surfaces. These details must be provided in colour. Brochures from the manufacturers of the products cannot be used. Details of the manufacturer and product name and range must be shown.

Secondary Dwelling means a self-contained dwelling that:

  • Is established in conjunction with another dwelling (the principal dwelling), and
  • Is on the same lot of land as the principal dwelling, and
  • Is located within, or is attached to, or is separate from, the principal dwelling.

Shadow Diagram must show the effect, in plan and elevation, of any existing shadows and any additional shadows cast by your proposal. This is particularly in respect of its overshadowing effect on any windows, private yard spaces, clothes drying areas and any solar hot water or similar systems on any adjoining property. The plans should show the following details:

  • North point (true north)
  • Scale (show ratio and bar scale)
  • Date, plan number, amendment number
  • Position of existing and proposed buildings on the site
  • Position of buildings, windows with associated room use, private open space and any solar panels on adjoining land;
  • Shadows cast at the mid-winter solstice and at the equinoxes at 8am, noon and 4pm. Additional times and dates, eg. hourly at mid-winter, may also be required
  • If the proposal is replacing an existing building, show change in shadows from existing to proposed development
  • Provide an analysis of your shadow diagrams prepared by a consulting architect. Consider shadows from adjoining buildings as well as the proposed development.

To maintain solar access for neighbouring properties, all developments must ensure that all adjoining residential properties will receive at least three (3) hours sunlight between 8am and 4pm on 21 June to at least one living area (kitchen, living or family room) and to at least 50% of the principal area of ground level private open space between 9am and 5pm at the equinox.

Site Plan is a plan drawn to scale (eg. 1:200) showing the physical features of a site. The plan may show the location of the driveway, house, trees, swimming pool, shed etc. The site plan should include dimensions from each existing and proposed structure to the site boundaries.

Site & Soil Assessment for OSSM is a report prepared by a suitably qualified professional which demonstrates your land is suitable for the on-site disposal of effluent.

State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs) are a form of EPI made under the EP&A Act by the Governor to make provision with respect to any matter that, in the opinion of the Minister, is of State or regional environmental planning significance, or is of environmental planning significance to a district in the Greater Sydney Region.

Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE) details the likely impacts of the proposal and the proposed measures that will mitigate these impacts. It is a written statement about the proposal that supports your plans and drawings.

Your statement should address all the issues that are applicable to your proposal. The statement details your proposal and expands on the information shown on the plans. The statement tells us what you’re proposing to do and how you’re going to do it. The statement must detail how your proposal complies with our codes and policies. The statement must demonstrate how the proposal meets the development controls found in our LEP, DCP and other relevant codes. Simply stating that the proposal complies with our codes is not satisfactory; the statement must demonstrate how compliance is achieved.

For applications that do not propose any work, such as change of use applications, a Statement of Environmental Effects is still required. The statement must outline how the use is permissible and complies with our codes and polices but also how the use will operate if consent is granted eg. number of staff, hours of operation, vehicular access and loading and waste management.

Stormwater Drainage Plan will illustrate how stormwater runoff from your site will be managed. It is essential to incorporate your drainage design in the initial architectural design process as problems with discharging stormwater runoff from your site may require a redesign of your proposal. Sites that fall away from the street frontage may have difficulty discharging stormwater runoff to the street, requiring a drainage easement to be negotiated through a neighbouring property to discharge the stormwater. Council does not generally support the use of pump-out systems other than for underground basement carparks where the only area being pumped is the driveway and associated sub-soil drainage system. Your drainage design should be prepared by a registered Civil Engineer and include provision for on-site detention (OSD) where necessary.

Streetscape refers to the view from the public domain, usually the street (and possibly a laneway or public reserve).

Streetscape Elevation should show the proposed building in the context of buildings on either side and demonstrate how the design of the proposed building as viewed from the street is not inconsistent with the existing buildings. For larger scale developments, particularly residential flat buildings and/or mixed commercial residential buildings and/or boarding houses, a 3D model may be required. The model will create a three-dimensional illustration of the architectural form of the proposal and its relationship to adjoining development and topographical features. The model must be to scale and may be required for mixed residential/commercial developments, and large-scale residential or commercial developments. We may also require models for other developments. We will determine the necessity for a model to be submitted after we have received your application. In some cases, we may ask for a coloured perspective instead of a model.

Structural Engineer’s Details will consist of plans and design compliance certificates which indicate the design of structural elements relevant to the construction of the building are structurally sufficient. These are prepared and certified by a suitably qualified and experienced structural engineer.

Subdivision Plan will clearly illustrate the proposed land subdivision layout. Draw the plan to a standard scale such as 1:100 or 1:200 band show the following details:

  • North point (true north) and scale (show ratio and bar scale)
  • Date of preparation and plan number
  • Existing and proposed boundaries
  • Existing lot and deposited plan numbers including adjacent lots
  • Relationship to existing roads and subdivision boundaries (show width of roads)
  • Proposed lot numbers, boundary dimensions and proposed lot areas (square metres)
  • Proposed roads, right of ways, pathways, including the vehicular access to each lot
  • Proposed and existing easements and rights of way
  • Proposed public reserves, drainage reserves (if applicable)
  • All existing structures on the site
  • Location and extent of native vegetation
  • Vegetation to be removed
  • Sloping land, rocky outcrops, scattered trees and other areas of significant vegetation
  • Existing erosion
  • Land identified as having groundwater vulnerability
  • Location of creeks and dams and estimated storage capacity of existing dams
  • Building envelopes (if proposed / required)
  • Details of connection to existing water, sewer and stormwater services

Survey Plan must be prepared by a land surveyor who is registered with the NSW Board of Surveying and Spatial Information (BOSSI). The plan must show the exact location of buildings and other features on the site. The plan should include the following details:

  • North point (true north)
  • Scale (show ratio and bar scale), lot dimensions and areas
  • Date, plan number, amendment number
  • Position of all existing structures in relation to property boundaries

Terrestrial Biodiversity details the variety of life forms on the Earth’s surface, the different plants, animals and microorganisms, the genes they contain, and the ecosystems they form. It is usually considered at three levels: genetic diversity, species diversity and ecosystem diversity.

Traffic Impact Assessment is required for applications with potential for impacting on adjoining properties in relation to traffic (eg. child care centres, places of public worship, schools). A traffic report needs to be made by a suitably qualified traffic consultant, demonstrating whether the proposed operation of a development will have an impact on the movement of vehicles and traffic in the surrounding road system. The report may need to include measures to mitigate the impact of vehicular movements from the proposal, in order to ensure the efficient operation of the surrounding road network is not compromised. A Traffic Engineer will generally need to prepare your Traffic Impact Assessment.

Waste Management Plan will detail waste management and minimisation activities to be carried out during demolition, construction and operation of the premises/development. This plan will need to:

  • Specify waste by type and volume and nominate reuse and recycling potential.
  • Nominate siting of waste storage and recycling facilities for demolition, construction and final use.
  • Specify how and where residual wastes will be disposed of.
  • Show how ongoing waste management of the site will operate.

Window and Door Schedule clearly itemises the dimensions and area (m²) of all windows and doors associated with the development.

Yass Valley Local Environmental Plan is the principal legal document for controlling development in the Yass Valley, at a Council level. It contains zoning provisions that establish permissibility of uses and specify standards that regulate development. The LEP was developed by Council and approved by the Minister.

Zoning is the system of categorising land uses as prohibited, requiring consent or not requiring consent within particular areas. Zones (such as Residential or Commercial) are generally shown in map form and their objects and permissible uses are set out in EPIs.

Helpful list of planning and development abbreviations

BCA Building Code of Australia
BPB NSW Building Professionals Board
CC Construction certificate
CDC Complying Development Certificate
DA Development application
EIS Environmental Impact Statement
EP&A Act Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
EP&A Regulation The Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000
EPI Environmental Planning Instrument (a SEPP or an LEP)
LEP Local Environmental Plan
NCC National Construction Code
OC Occupation certificate
PCA Principal Certifying Authority
SEE Statement of Environmental Effects
SEPP State Environmental Planning Policy
SIS Species Impact Statement

Still need help? Complete our online General Development Enquiry Form or call 6226 1477 and one of our staff will provide you with further information.

Related Documents

There are no documents related to this page.

Related Pages

There are no pages related to this page.

6 page views for the last 30 days

Share this page
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on LinkedIn Share by Email

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Yass Valley Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Yass Valley Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Yass Valley Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Yass Valley Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Yass Valley Council - / +61 2 6226 1477 / Fax: +61 2 6226 2598