skip to main content skip to main menu

Planning & Building


What is development?

From 30 November 2020, the NSW Planning Portal will become the required way to electronically lodge a DA with Yass Valley Council. For more information please click here.

Download our document submission guide here

When you make a change to your land, you are undertaking development. This may involve:

  • Changing the way your land is used.
  • Subdividing your land. 
  • Constructing a new building on your land. 
  • Demolishing a building on your land.
  • Carrying out works or an activity on your land.

In the Yass Valley, there are generally three types of development.


Some small scale and low impact developments such as decks, fences, bbqs and pergolas may not need Council approval if your proposal meets specified criteria. You do not need to lodge an application, however, you can still contact us to discuss and confirm.


If your development complies with certain pre-determined development standards, your approval can be “fast tracked”. You will need to lodge an application with us (or a Private Certifier) and a combined planning and construction approval can be issued.


Your development doesn’t meet requirements to be exempt or complying, so the Yass Valley Local Environmental Plan 2013 applies. You will (most likely) need to lodge a Development Application (DA) with us.

The type of development you are going to undertake determines whether or not you need an approval.

Firstly, you will need some basic information about your land, including:

  • Zone. 
  • Environmental constraints.
  • Is it bushfire prone? 
  • The heritage status of your land and buildings.
  • Other restrictions.

Most of this information (and more!) can be found by using the NSW Planning Portal

Using the information you have found on the Planning Portal, check out the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 to find out if your development is exempt or complying.

If you’re having trouble locating the information you’re after, check out our common application types page to find more specific information about your development. 

If your development is…

Development Application Construction Certificate Complying Development Principal Certifying Authority Notice to Commence Works Inspections Application for Occupation Certificate

Related Documents

There are no documents related to this page.

Related Pages

There are no pages related to this page.

62 page views for the last 30 days

Share this page
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on LinkedIn Share by Email

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Yass Valley Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Yass Valley Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Yass Valley Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Yass Valley Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Yass Valley Council - / +61 2 6226 1477 / Fax: +61 2 6226 2598