If you are undertaking development there will be stages that require inspection by Council staff or an accredited Private Certifier.
Engineering inspections are required to be undertaken by Council staff for major developments (such as sub-divisions) where the ownership of the assets/infrastructure being built, including access roads, water and sewer, shall be passed to Council at the conclusion of the project.
For all other development building and planning inspections are required.
Your development will be inspected by your PCA (Council or Private Certifier) at critical stages to ensure compliance with your plans. These stages (as applicable to your development) are as follows:
- Post excavation/Pre-footings
- Bounding construction (generally large development)
- Fire protection (generally large development)
If your development includes plumbing and drainage works Council inspections are required at the following stages (as applicable to your development):
- All internal sanitary drainage
- All external sanitary drainage
- Effluent disposal area
- At the completion of all plumbing and drainage works prior to use or occupation
For any inspection, other than a final inspection, it is a general rule of thumb not to conceal the works prior to the inspection being carried out (eg. don’t gyprock or insulate your framing prior to the inspection!)
Council inspections are only available in certain areas on certain days. Please consider this when choosing your PCA and planning your build.
|Town / Village||Day/s inspections are held|
|Yass & Bowning||Monday to Friday|
|Murrumbateman||Monday to Friday|
|Wallaroo||Monday to Friday|
|Sutton & Gundaroo||Tuesday to Thursday|
|Binalong & Bookham||Tuesday to Thursday|
|Wee Jasper||Tuesday to Thursday|
Inspections must be booked in at least 48 hours in advance and can be made using our online booking system.
To book an inspection you will be asked for basic information including your contact details, the approval number and address for the development and the type of inspection you would like. Please ensure you have this information prior to booking. It is important to note that additional fees will apply where Building Certification Inspections are booked over the phone.
Once your inspection is booked
- Council does not book in specific inspection times however we will endeavour to contact you with an estimated arrival time, the day before the inspection booking.
- Whilst some people like to be on-site to get immediate feedback it is not necessary to be present during an inspection
- You will receive a copy of the inspection report via email within 24 hours of the inspection being carried out.
- You must not proceed with works until you have confirmation that the inspection has passed. If in doubt do not proceed and contact Council.
- If your inspection fails you will need to address the concerns raised and book another inspection.
Engineering staff of Council (not a Private Certifier) shall be responsible for undertaking all development inspections where assets are to be owned by Council – this includes roads, stormwater, water and sewer infrastructure.
Inspections must be booked online and are available Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Please note inspections can only be made a minimum of 48 hours in advance.