skip to main content skip to main menu

Planning & Building


Building Information Certificates

When to apply for a Building Information Certificate?

A Building Information Certificate is a document issued by Council relating to existing works to a building. A Building Information Certificate is usually requested by buyers or sellers of property before settlement to make sure that what is being bought or sold is not going to be the subject of action by Council. It is not a legal requirement to have a building information certificate for the sale of a property.

Often a Building Information Certificate is requested when work is undertaken without the appropriate approvals being issued by Council or a Private Certifier. A building information certificate states that Council will not take any action for a period of 7 years to Order, or take proceedings for an Order, to have the building covered by the certificate to:

  • Be demolished, altered, added to or rebuilt.
  • Resolve any encroachment by the building onto land under the control of Council.

Building Information Certificate application requirements

A Building Information Certificate application may be requested for either a part or whole of a building and may be requested by:

  • The owner of the property.
  • Another person, with the consent of the owner of the property.
  • The purchaser of a property under a contract of sale (including the purchaser's solicitor or agent).
  • A public authority that has notified the owner of its intention to apply for the certificate.

A Building Information Certificate application is to include an original or certified copy of a survey report and plan if it is related to residential zoned land. For land situated in other zones you may be required to provide a survey report.

The survey report and plan must represent the property and buildings as existing at the time of lodging the application. Additional information may also need to be provided (including building plans, specifications and certificates) to allow Council to assess the application.

Fees and application form

Form 7 - Application for Building Information Certificate

Building Information Certificate fees are set in the Environmental Planning & Assessment Regulation 2000. Single dwellings have a set application fee. The fee for other building types is calculated according to the floor area of the building. Current fees that apply to an application for a Building Information Certificate are detailed in Council’s most current Fees & Charges, located below.

Additional fees apply in the following cases:

  • Applications involving the assessment of unauthorised structures constructed within the previous two years. Contact Council to determine the additional costs associated with these applications.
  • Where re-inspections are required to be carried out by a Council officer.

Related Documents

Related Pages

There are no pages related to this page.

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Yass Valley Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Yass Valley Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Yass Valley Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Yass Valley Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Yass Valley Council - / +61 2 6226 1477 / Fax: +61 2 6226 2598