skip to main content skip to main menu

Planning & Building


Building Certification Process

From 30 November 2020, the NSW Planning Portal will become the required way to electronically lodge a DA with Yass Valley Council. For more information please click here.

The following certification process is the final step in ensuring your development complies with legislation, giving you peace of mind and protecting the value of your investment.

You can choose Council or a Private Accredited Certifier for your certification needs. The steps below will guide you through this process with Council.

From 30 November 2020, the NSW Planning Portal will become the required way to electronically lodge a DA with Yass Valley Council. For more information please click here.

Before any work commences you must ensure you have either a Construction Certificate or a Complying Development Certificate. This includes work such as site preparation, excavation and demolition.

Development Application flow chart 800

A Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) is the only person or body who can issue occupation certificates. You must appoint your PCA before work commences. To appoint Council as the PCA complete - Form 214 - Appointment of Principal Certifying Authority.

Council's Building Certification Team provide the building and development industry and the community with professional, timely and cost effective certification services. When you use our team you benefit from:

  • The stability and long term support that only Council can provide.
  • Competitive pricing - refer to Council's current Fees & Charges located below.
  • Qualified and experienced building certifiers who are all accredited under the Building Professionals Board Accreditation Scheme.
  • A comprehensive service that covers the full range of inspections (including plumbing and drainage).
  • Our comprehensive database and archive of documents which gives us access to previous applications and approvals.
  • Access to other professionals – including our engineers, development planners, heritage officers, health inspectors and on-site sewage management officers – so we can give you comprehensive advice and assistance.

Prior to starting work there are a number of things you need do. They are slightly different from job to job. Details are outlined in your Development Consent or your Complying Development Certificate. Generally you will need to:

  • Provide written notice to Council 48 hours prior to starting building work or excavation work - Form 131 - Notice to Council of intention to commence work.
  • Install soil erosion and sediment control measures.
  • Erect builder's signage.
  • Erect construction fencing.
  • Install a portable toilet.
  • Contact a land surveyor to help set out the development.

Your development will be inspected at critical stages to ensure compliance with your plans. These stages (as applicable to your development) are as follows:

  • Post excavation/pre-footings 
  • Slab
  • Framework
  • Waterproofing 
  • Stormwater
  • Final
  • Bounding construction (generally large development) 
  • Fire protection (generally large development)

Book your inspections online


Inspection bookings must be made 48 hours in advance. Inspections are available in different areas on different days. Please be organised and plan your inspections in advance.

For more information about inspections please visit our Inspections page.

What if a critical stage inspection is missed?

If you miss an inspection you may not be able to obtain an Occupation Certificate unless the missed inspection was considered unavoidable. Clause 162C of the EP&A Regulation addresses critical stage inspections that are missed in circumstances that the PCA considers were unavoidable. There are very few reasons why an inspection would be considered unavoidably missed so make sure you have your inspection result before you proceed onto the next stage of your development.

From 30 November 2020, the NSW Planning Portal will become the required way to electronically lodge a DA with Yass Valley Council. For more information please click here.

An Occupation Certificate verifies that your development is suitable to occupy or use. It is the last step in the approval process for a building. To obtain an Occupation Certificate you will need to lodge an application with your Principal Certifying Authority (PCA). If Council is you PCA please complete - Form 22 - Application for Occupation Certificate. You can apply for a Final Occupation Certificate or an Interim Occupation Certificate.

Council will check the following prior to issuing any Occupation Certificate:

  1. That an application form has been lodged and payment of any outstanding fees made.
  2. Our inspection records ensure that all critical stage inspections have been carried out.
  3. The 'prior to occupation certificate conditions' (see your development approval) have been addressed.
  4. That the development is safe to occupy and consistent with the approval.
  5. The submission of documentation as identified in your final inspection report.

Council will assess your application and contact you about the outcome. Once you have your certificate you can start using and enjoying your development!

Related Documents

Related Pages

There are no pages related to this page.

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Yass Valley Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Yass Valley Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Yass Valley Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Yass Valley Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Yass Valley Council - / +61 2 6226 1477 / Fax: +61 2 6226 2598