Yass Valley off-leash dog locations
The fenced Yass Dog Park is located on Laidlaw Street, next to Yass Olympic Swimming Pool and Skate Park and opposite Yass Primary School.
The Yass Dog Park is divided into three separate zones, to accommodate all dogs:
- Active Zone - Boisterous, energetic, confident dogs who enjoy a romp and play.
- Quiet Zone – Quiet, less energetic dogs, who don’t like rough play but who like making new friends. Very small dogs.
- Come and Try Zone - First timers, recall training, nervous or timid, dogs who need time to “settle in” to the park.
Yass Dog Park Friends is an active Facebook group, for dog owners.
Council provides the following unfenced, off-leash areas within the Local Government Area:
- The triangle below the 18th hole at lower Walker Park.
- Underneath the railway bridge below Joe O'Connor Park at the riverbank, Yass.
- Bowning Recreation Ground.
- Binalong Recreation Ground.
- Nirta Drive Common, Murrumbateman.
- Murrumbateman Recreation Area, in the equestrian cross country area. Dog owners must control their dogs when horses are present
Areas that are not off-leash areas
- Any area of public land that is not mentioned above.
- Riverbank Park precinct, including the footpath/walking areas.
- All playgrounds.
- Sportsfields are NOT off-leash areas with the exception of Bowning and Binalong recreation grounds.
- Dog waste MUST be collected.
The NSW Companion Animals Act 1998 Section 13 states a dog must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.
There is no exception to this rule for 'well trained dogs'. If you are exercising your dog in a public place that is not a designated off-leash area, you must have your dog on a lead and that lead must be in your hand or secured to your person.
Message from our Ranger
Many dogs get very excited when taken for a walk. If your dog does get overly excitable, it is recommended to park away from the dog park and walk your dog/s to the off-leash area. This gives your dog/s the opportunity to relax and adjust to being on a walk before they arrive at the park.
The location of the Yass Dog Park allows it to tie in nicely with the walking trails around Yass River and Riverbank Park.