Coronavirus (COVID-19) update - Friday, 3 April
As of 12am on Tuesday, 31 March, NSW residents now legally have to stay in their homes unless they have a reasonable excuse for leaving.
- Reasonable excuses are broadly categorised as:
- Obtaining food or other goods and services.
- Travelling for the purposes of work or education if the person cannot do it at home.
- Medical or caring reasons.
The public health orders were published late on Monday night. More information HERE.
They allow for fines of up to $11,000 or six months’ imprisonment for those who leave the home without a reasonable excuse, plus an additional $5,500 fine each day the offence continues. Fines for businesses are higher still.
In support of this, and to continue to encourage people to stay at home and help slow the spread of Coronavirus, Yass Valley Council has ceased all face-to-face contact between staff and members of the public.
This will mean, effective immediately:
- STOPPING FACE-TO-FACE TRANSACTIONS at the Yass Administration Building – all council business will need to be conducted over the phone 6226 1477, via email Council@yass.nsw.gov.au or online at yassvalley.nsw.gov.au
- To lodge a Development Application or submit documentation, please email Council@yass.nsw.gov.au, mail, or use the mail slot in the front door of the Customer Service building.
- STOPPING FACE-TO-FACE TRANSACTIONS at the Visitor Information Centre – all enquiries will need to be directed via phone 6226 2557, email email@example.com, or social media @VisitYassValley on Instagram or Facebook.
- STOPPING the Click and Collect service at Yass Valley Library. Staff at the Library will be available via phone on 6226 1305 or email Library@yass.nsw.gov.au for people requiring assistance in setting up Borrow Box, the library’s online borrowing system for eBooks and eAudiobooks. All current loans will continue to be extended during this period to prevent the need for people to leave their homes.
For more information on our service disruptions, please see our regularly updated table HERE.
We know this is an uncertain and unsettling time but we will get through it together. Stay safe.
3 April 2020