Coronavirus (COVID-19) update - 20 March 2020
Friday, 20 March 2020
Yass Valley Council is constantly monitoring the COVID-19 situation and taking our advice and instructions from the Australian Government Department of Health. The health and safety of our community is our highest priority.
We wish to reassure our residents that all Council facilities remain open. We have made some decisions to modify or cancel some of our meetings and/or programs and we are taking additional hygienic precautions to protect the community. These measures include:
- Yass Valley Library is currently still open as usual, however, we have had to make the tough decision to CANCEL all programs, activities and outreach services for the foreseeable future. This includes all children's programs, Tech Help and Lego Club, as well as planned school holiday programs.
- Council is mindful that many of our patrons are in the high risk category and we will escalate our response to events with their safety and well-being in mind. We are constantly monitoring responses to COVID-19 at other libraries across the state and may close our library should there be any increased risk to our patrons and staff.
- Our staff have been taking extra precautions with regards to sterilising hands, materials, computers and all surfaces. Everyone entering the library will be provided with visual and verbal advice to minimise their risk of infection. Patrons will also be strongly encouraged to use the hand sanitiser provided while within the Library.
Ordinary Council Meeting
In the interests of public health and safety amidst the current COVID-19 concerns, Yass Valley Council will hold a modified Ordinary Meeting in the Council Chambers next Wednesday, 25 March 2020. This will include the following measures:
- Members of the public are encouraged NOT to attend the meeting in person but the meeting will be live-streamed and can be viewed at home HERE
- People who wish to address Council at the open forum on any item in the business papers need to call Council ASAP on 6226 1477 to register their interest and discuss the best option for making their presentation.
- Councillors will be implementing social distancing measures and, as such, will be appropriately spaced throughout the Council Chambers.
- Additional hygiene and sanitising measures will be taken within the space.
The Agenda for the Ordinary Meeting of Council on Wednesday, 25 March 2020 is available HERE
Grants Workshop Cancelled
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, we have decided to postpone the Community Grant Writing Workshop that was scheduled for Thursday, 2 April. The community will be informed once it has been rescheduled.
The following document informing people what we are doing as a Council and reminding everyone of the practices we all need to take to keep each other safe, has been displayed at the entrance of all Council buildings and facilitates (along with supplies of hand sanitiser). We encourage all staff and residents to follow these personal hygiene and social distancing steps.
27 March 2020