Lodging a Complaint

Definition of a Complaint

A complaint is generally an expression of dissatisfaction with Council’s policies, quality of service or follow up communication. It includes dissatisfaction with the outcome of a decision, level or quality of service, the failure to adhere to a policy or the behaviour of an employee or agent that can be acted upon.

This is different from a customer service request. Examples of these are:

  • Request to fix a pot hole
  • Request to have a new garbage bin
  • Request to replace a broken bin
  • Complaint about a barking dog

A customer service request may develop into a complaint where the provision or timeliness of the service is considered unsatisfactory. To lodge a customer service request, please contact our office on 6226 1477.

How can I lodge a complaint?

Complaints can be made by any of the following means:

  • Email - council@yass.nsw.gov.au
  • Mail - in writing to the General Manager, Yass Valley Council, PO Box 6 YASS  NSW  2582
             (in circumstances where a complaint involves the General Manager, correspondence should then be addressed to the 'Mayor')
  • In person - to a staff member at 209 Comur Street, Yass
  • By telephone - 6226 1477

All complaints will be dealt with in conjunction with Policy No. GOV-POL-7 Complaints.

What Information do I need to include in my complaint?

So that your complaint can be handled quickly please provide the following information:

  • As much detail as you can regarding the matter
  • Include details of any loss or detriment that you have suffered
  • List any other authorities or agencies you have already reported this incident to if applicable
  • Your contact details – Your name and at least one method of contact
  • A brief description of your desired outcome
  • Any supporting details such as photos, contact details for other people who can support your case.

NOTE:   You may make an anonymous complaint however we will be unable to forward you any information regarding the progress and/or outcome of the matter if you choose this option.  We encourage all people making a complaint to provide their first name and contact number as we may need to contact you to request further information and/or provide an update regarding the progress of your complaint.

What happens next?

Your complaint will be recorded and acknowledged, a reference number may also be provided.

The matter will be addressed in accordance with Council's Complaints Policy and you will be notified of the outcome once completed, usually within 15 working days.

If you change your mind and wish to withdraw the complaint, you may do so at any time.