Inspections are to be carried out at critical stages throughout the construction of a development. For information about the stages that are applicable to your development (where Council has been nominated as the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA)) please refer to the conditions of your
development consent or contact Council.
It is important to note that even when Council has not been nominated as the PCA we must still undertake inspections on:
• All new Plumbing and Drainage works;
• Works relating to the installation or modification to an On-Site Sewage Management System;
• New Stormwater works where connection to a Council maintained system (i.e. street gutter or inter allotment drainage system) is involved.
Inspection Days and Availability
Please refer to the inspection schedule at the rear of this document for more information about when inspections are available in your area. It is important to note that there are only a limited number of inspections available for any one day so please book in inspections early to avoid
To book an inspection please contact Councils Development Customer Service Team on (02) 6226 9234 no less than 48 hours prior to the inspection with the following information:
• Construction Certificate (CC) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC) or Section 68 (S68)
• Address of property to be inspected;
• Date of inspection;
• Type of inspection;
• Contact person’s name and phone number;
• Access details (i.e. keys or codes) where necessary.
Please note the following:
• If you don’t have an approval (CC, CDC, S68) you will NOT get an inspection;
• Dangerous dogs must be restrained;
• Work must be completed and ready prior to the inspection date. If the inspector arrives on-site
and the works are not completed a re-inspection fee may apply and you will need to re-book the inspection;
• Access details (i.e. Key or codes) where access to the development is restricted. If the inspector cannot gain access a re-inspection fee may apply;
Frequently Asked Questions
What time will my inspection be done?
COUNCIL DOES NOT BOOK IN SPECIFIC INSPECTION TIMES
You must be ready for the inspection to be carried out at any time on the day of inspection. At your request the inspecting officer will contact you by phone (voice or text) with an estimated inspection time either the afternoon before or on the morning of the inspection.
How do I find out about the result of my inspection?
The inspecting officer will either leave an inspection report on-site or contact you by phone to let you know of the inspection result. In some instances the inspector may contact you about the result over the phone and email or post you a copy of the report.
You must not proceed with works until you have confirmation that the inspection has passed. If in doubt do not proceed and contact Council.
What happens if my inspection fails?
You must book a re-inspection and have the works satisfactorily re-inspected prior to proceeding with the development. A re-inspection fee may also apply.
What happens if I miss an inspection?
For inspections which have been unavoidably missed please refer to Clause 162C of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000. Any combination of the following actions may be taken by Council dependent on the circumstances of each case:
- The issue of a Penalty Infringement Notice (up to $3000 fine);
- Exposing or redoing the works;
- Photos, statutory declarations, engineers certification and other forms of Evidence;
- Council may be unable to issue an Occupation Certificate for the Development;
- Additional applications and associated fees.
Do I have to be home when the inspection is carried out?
Whilst some people like to be on-site to get immediate feedback it is not necessary to be present during an inspection. If you are on-site it is important to give the inspector enough space to carry out their duties.
Can I get an inspection without 48 hours notice?
Subject to availability you may be able to arrange for an inspection without 48 hours notice provided the same day inspection fee is paid.
How much are the re-inspection and same day inspection fees?
- Re-inspection fee = $250
- Same day inspection fee = $330